+ Top 10 Tips for a Good Night’s Sleep. Did you know humans are the only creatures on earth who purposefully, willingly delay sleep when they’re tired? Imagine a puppy doing that. Not gonna happen. Like, ever. A puppy instinctively knows that he needs sleep to restore his body and brain. There are puzzles to solve, butterflies to chase, and love to spread. Can’t make that happen without a few dozen naps during the day.
Restorative, rejuvenating sleep is a pillar of good health physically, but also mentally. Your brain literally rebuilds itself while you sleep.
While you’re getting 40 winks, this is what your brain is busy doing:
- Removing toxic waste byproducts
- Improving memory recall
- Regulating your metabolism
- Reduce mental fatigue*
- Reorganizing and recharging itself
- Restoring and rejuvenating the brain for optimal function
*Mental fatigue can be a deal-breaker for recovering alcoholics. When your brain is tired, you will have a harder time making choices that require will power. As alcoholics, the cost is higher for mistakes we make when we’re hungry, angry, lonely or tired.
When sleep is deprived, says the US National Institutes of Health, toxins can build up, and the effects will become apparent in cognitive abilities, behavior, and judgement. We cannot thrive in recovery, or in our daily lives, without good sleep.
Tips for getting a good night’s sleep:
- Kick your computer, phone, tablet out of the bedroom; ’nuff said
- Nix caffeine early in the day; no more coffee, tea, soda past 3pm
- Wrap up your meals and snacking a few hours before bedtime
- Stick to a consistent sleep schedule
- Shut down all devices: television, computer, games, etc. an hour before lights-out
- Read something thoughtful or soothing before bedtime
- Create a restful environment: dark and comfortable
- Include physical activity in your daily routine
- Rein in binge-watching on weekends
- Practice mindfulness, mental relaxation techniques
In recovery, our 10th Step tells us to take a personal inventory and “promptly admit” our mistakes. You’ll sleep better if your amends are in order and you’re not taking any grudges to bed with you.
Remember to give yourself props, too, at the end of the day. Tuck yourself into bed with loving-kindness for others…and for yourself.
[CLICK TO LISTEN/AUDIO VERSION COMING SOON]
Need help getting to sleep, staying asleep and waking up fully rested and refreshed?
Our friends at iAwake have developed cutting edge audio technology to help you get the vital, restorative sleep you need to live an extraordinary life.
Sleep is a miracle medicine – biology’s best attempt at immortality. Rainstorm Sleepwave blends an artfully engineered psychoacoustic soundscape with cutting-edge brainwave entrainment technology to ease your brain from wakeful consciousness into the delta-wave pattern of restorative, deep sleep. This powerful program will help you fall asleep, stay asleep, and awaken rejuvenated in mind, body, and soul. $37. Get it here.